With less than a week until 2012, I thought it would be a good idea to share some of the things I’m going to do to make 2012 a more effective year. Please don’t see these as resolutions but as commitments.
- I’m going to pray more. One of the things that is becoming more apparent as I coach pastors is that in order to make an outward change in a church requires the pastor have an inner change. We can stress tactics all we want, but if the heart isn’t right with God nothing works. So I’m going to pray more. What about you?
- Along the same lines, I’m going to be more humble. I know- you say that’s not one of my strong points and you’re right it isn’t, but it’s going to be. I hope that saying I’m going to be humble doesn’t sound arrogant. Will you join me?
- I’m going to do something I’ve always dreamed about doing but never got around to and I’m going to keep it a secret for now. But seriously, what have you been putting off that you’ve always wanted to do and just haven’t gotten around to it for some reason. Well, I have a flash for you- you’re one year older and counting. So get with it.
- I’m going to read more. This has been one of my strong suits over the years so I want to strengthen it even more. I’m looking now at a pile of some 20 books. The problem I’m running into is I’m finding more and more books to be not worth the time it takes to read them. But I’ve always found a jewel in the pile somewhere that makes it worth the effort. How many books did you read this past year? If it was less than 20, your missing something important. Ask your church to raise your discretionary account.
- I’m going to be more patient with my wife. Most of you know she suffered a bad stroke in July and now requires 24/7 care. She still enjoys life and that is why I brought her home two weeks ago. But I find myself really challenged here. And I imagine you are also when you’re faced with a unsolvable situation. But patience is Godly. That is why we are told to “wait until…. All of us can learn to be more patient with our spouse. They put up with a lot for us to be in ministry.
- I’m to steel myself against the seemingly limitless barrage of political ads I’m going to be subjected to over the next eight months. Talk about learning patience. How are you going to handle all the political stuff you’ll see on the TV the next eight months? I know what I’m going to do – record everything I want to see so I can zip through the political ads.
What is it you’re going to do to make the new year an even better year than this one has been?